Join us Saturday, August 5th from 1 - 6pm for a Welcome Blanket Knit-Along.
Click below for more info!
A welcome blanket is traditionally created to lovingly mark the arrival of a new person into the world. In the Welcome Blanket project, each handmade blanket is a physical manifestation of this celebration of new refugees and other immigrants: “Welcome to the United States and your new life here! We are so glad you have arrived.”
We want you to join us! Make a blanket and share your story as a gift to a new immigrant to the United States.
Here are some ways you can participate:
- Get 10% off your yarn purchase at Firefly!
- Make a 40" x 40" blanket or a 10" x 10" square.
- Drop off your blankets and/or squares at Firefly Fiber Arts Studio!
- Firefly will drop off blankets to the Smart Museum here is Chicago for display before they are sent to immigration and refugee agencies.
- Spread the word and share the love!
The blankets you make, along with your enclosed notes, will be displayed together in an inaugural show at the Smart Museum of Art at the University of Chicago beginning July 18 through December 17. After the show's close, the blanket packages will be distributed to refugees and other immigrants through resettlement organizations.
Join us at Firefly for inspiration, creation, and to drop off of your blanket. Have questions? Please contact us, or click below for more information.